Livestock agent ROSS ELLIS of McDougall and Sons brings us an update on the local lamb and cattle markets from last week…
Numbers were fully firm for all the Warwick Agents sales on both Tuesday and Wednesday also with some sales happening on Thursday which fall outside the reporting time.
Agents yarded 846 head for the Cattle sale as well as 1768 head of Sheep & Lambs for the weekly sale.
Markets were slightly back for the cattle in the back to the paddock types but fairly firm in the cow and trade markets.
Restockers were making sure the buyers were not going to get bargains, with light trade steers and heifers keenly sought out.
The off types were the only look in to get a reasonable run for the money.
This of course is up to individual placements as we all have different ideas on how to boost the income.
Lambs topped at $215 to average $165.23 a drop of $15/head, hoggets topped at $187 to average $131.31 a drop of $25/head, ewes topped at $160 to average $86.54 a drop of $30/head, wethers topped at $160 to average $142.33 a drop of $50/head, rams topped at $250 to average $166.61 down $36/head, lamb rams topped at $152 to average $141.60 a drop of $32/head, ewe lambs topped at $200 to average $160.70 a drop of $19/head. The Sheep & Lamb sale saw a drop of $19/head across the sale.
Vealer steers averaged $541.2c/kg to 656.2c/kg or $1324.18 to $2015.62
Vealer heifers averaged 489.5c/kg to 556.2c/kg or $1140.04 to $1815.66
Feeder steers averaged 517.7c/kg to 600.2c/kg or $2048.64 to $3030.42
Feeder heifers averaged 421c/kg to 478.2c/kg or $1420.14 to $1975.77
Yearling steers averaged 547.2c/kg to 675.2c/kg or $1693.15 to $2394.83
Yearling heifers averaged 470.8c/kg to 520c/kg or $1431.87 to $2016.00
Steers averaged 404c/kg to 510c/kg or $2218.61 to $2780.36
Heifers averaged 386.2c/kg to 470c/kg or $1897.19 to $2447.32
Manufacturing steers averaged 399.2c/kg to 400c/kg or $2465.10 to $2760.00
Cows averaged 313.8c/kg to 400.0c/kg or $1760.88 to $2840.00
Bulls sold to a top of $3075
Pig and poultry numbers
Ducks sold to $10, Ducklings sold to $17.50,Hens sold to $11, Roosters sold to $20, Meat chickens sold to $12, Guinea Fowl sold to $10
Sows sold from $250 to $264, Light Pork sold from $141 to $210, Stores sold from $52 to $171
McDougall and Sons sheep and lamb report
Agents today yarded a total of 1768 head to the market.
The sheep and lambs were drawn from the local as well as South West and New England areas.
The market followed the stock market in a downward spiral.
The sales in the Southern states as well as Western New South Wales saw equivalent falls across the stock offered.
Lambs topped at $215 to average $165.23 ($15down), hoggets topped at $187 to average $131.31 ($25down), ewes topped at $160 to average $86.54 ($30 down), wethers topped at $160 to average $142.33 ($50down), rams topped at $250 to average $166.61 ($36down), lamb rams topped at $152 to average $141.60 ($32down), ewe lambs topped at $200 to average $160.70 ($7down).
The total yarding was an average of $148.23 a drop of $19/head week on week.
• Dave & Wendy Rogers sold white Dorper lambs 45kg to Moniel Chad for $171
• Warren & Wendy Schelbach sold Dorper x sucker lambs 44kg to Jock Young Meats for $175
• Mc Dougall Family sold 55.3kg Dorper x lambs to Leslie Lamb for $199
• Higgins Family sold Aussie White lambs 51.6kg to Warwick Meats for $190, 70kg hoggets to Take It Easy Meats for $187, 4th wethers for $160 to Moniel Chad
• Andrew Clark Dickson sold Dorper x lambs 48.25kg to Tonys Supa and Leslie Lambs for $180, 40kg lambs to Leslie Lamb for $168, 60kg hoggets to Whites Trading for $170, Dorper ewes to restockers for $120
• Will Bazley & Vanessa Mc Donald sold Suffolk x lambs 49.6kg to Shelly F/T for $169
• JCD Rural sold Dorper lambs 53.1kg to Jock Young Meats for $194
• Rory & Kathy Frost sold 42.5kg lambs to Moniel Chad for $171, 37.5kg ram lambs to Moniel Chad for $142, ewes to Moniel Chad for $125
• Reilly Past Co sold Dorper x lambs 55kg to Thomas Foods for $191, 38.3kg to GR Prime for $130, 38.3kg to Graham Meats for $110, hoggets 66.8kg to Grants for $175, to Take It Easy Meats for $160, 31.66kg lambs to Graham Meats for $85, 72.2kg wethers to Whites Trading for $146, 80kg ewes to GR Prime for $124, 53kg ram lambs to Whites Trading for $144, rams to Whites Trading for $172 and $50
• James Cowlishaw sold Merino hoggets 54.3kg to restockers for $120 and to Take It Easy Meats for $117, Merino ewes to GR Prime for $80
• Coolmunda P/S sold Merino fine wool cfa ewes to GR Prime for $87 and $73
• Martin Roberts sold Xbred lambs 47.5kg to GR Prime for $131, 43.6kg Dorper x lambs to Leslie Lamb for $155, 43.2kg to Elliots Butchery for $149, 46.6 and 40.33kg lambs selling to GR Prime for $147.50 and $139, hoggets 50kg selling to Take It Easy Meats for $158, wethers 60kg to Take It Easy Meats for $140
• Shelley F/T sold Xbred lambs off grain 64.2kg to Thomas Foods for $215, 32.5kg lambs to Whites Trading for $100