Meet our region’s newest recipient of the Order of Australia Medal (OAM) – legendary Granite Belt rural firefighter Roni Bau.
Roni’s OAM was announced on Australia Day in the Governor-General’s National Honours List, with the official citation stating the honour is “for his service to emergency response organisations”.
Roni Bau joins fellow rural firefighter and OAM recipient James Massey, who was similarly awarded as part of the 2020 Queens Birthday Honours List.
The official citation for Roni Bau reads in full –
Mr Roni BAU, Applethorpe QLD 4378
‘For service to emergency response organisations’
Stanthorpe Rural Fire Brigade Group
• Group Officer, 2012-2018.
Applethorpe Rural Fire Brigade
• 1st Officer, since 2016; 2010-2012.
• 2nd Officer, 2015-2016; 2006-2009.
• 3rd Officer, 2014-2015; 2009-2010.
• 4th Officer, 2005-2006.
• 5th Officer, 2012-2014.
• Brigade Chairman, 2012-2014.
• Brigade Training Officer, 2009-2014.
• Deputy Fire Warden, 2010-2012.
• Firewarden (Applethorpe), since 2012.
• Firewarden (Summit/Cottonvale), since 2015.
• Rural Firefighter, since 1970.
• Trainer, RFS Cert II in Public Safety (Fire Fighting Operations), Stanthorpe State High School, 10 years.
Awards and recognition include:
• Australia Day Achievement Award, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services, 2017.
• National Medal, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Clasps.
Congratulations to Roni from the Free Times – your dedication to service of your community is well-deserved of this recognition!