Two local legends have been named in the 2020 Queen’s Birthday Honours List for Australia – Stanthorpe’s JAMES MASSEY and former Southern Downs MP – and current Goondiwindi Region Mayor – LAWRENCE SPRINGBORG. Both have received the Order of Australia Medal (OAM).
Congrats gents – and here’s their official citations from the Governor-General…
Mr James Thomas MASSEY…
“For service to the community through emergency response organisations”
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES)
• First Officer, Sugarloaf Rural Fire Brigade, since 2010 , Foundation Member, since 1994, and Brigade Chairman, 2007-2010 and 2004-2005.
• Secretary, Stanthorpe Combined Group, 2017-2018, and Deputy Group Officer, Treasurer since 2018.
• Member, Liston Rural Fire Brigade, 1973-1994.
• QFES Air Observer, 2009-2018.
Queensland Rural Fire Service
• Member, Operational Strategic Working Group, since 2015.
Rotary Club of Stanthorpe
• Member, 2005-2008 and 1995-2003.
• International Director, 2006-2007.
Stanthorpe Agricultural Society
• Member, since 1978.
• Former Chairman, Fat Cattle Committee.
• Compere, Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Harvest Festival, since 2014.
• Foundation Member and Chairman, ArtWorks on Davadi (now ArtWorks Granite Belt), 2011-2013.
• Compere, Stanthorpe Agricultural Society, since 2018.
The Honourable Lawrence James SPRINGBORG…
“For significant service to the Parliament of Queensland, and to the community of the Southern Downs”
Parliament of Queensland
• Minister for Health, 2012-2015.
• Minister for Natural Resources, 1998.
• Member for Southern Downs, 2001-2017.
• Member for Warwick, 1992-2001.
• Member for Canavaron,1989-1992.
• Leader of the Liberal/National Party of Queensland, 2015-2016, 2008-2009.
• Deputy Leader of the Liberal/National Party of Queensland, 2009-2011.
• Leader of the National Party (Queensland Branch), 2003-2006, 2008.
• Former Chair, Parliamentary Crime and Corruption Committee.
• Former Deputy Chair, Workers Pneumoconiosis Select Committee.
Awards and recognition includes:
• Honorary Life Memberships of Young National Party Australia and Liberal National Party of Australia.